Talking with Dr Jonathan Nicozisis
In this episode:
In 2019, orthodontists are still graduating with an orthodontic degree having no knowledge on how to incorporate clear aligner technology in their treatment plan. Dr. Jonathan Nicozisis is a national speaker and educator who teaches about advanced techniques with Invisalign.
We spoke with Dr. Nicozisis about the disruption of the industry by Invisalign and the direct-to-consumer business models. His philosophy aligns with our own that doctors need to embrace the change and make it work for them instead of fighting it. We also speak about his online program to teach orthodontists how to work with clear aligners. Listen in on our wide-ranging and informative conversation with Dr. Nicozisis in this episode.
IN THIS EPISODE:
- How clear aligner treatment is not being taught in residency programs and what Dr. Nicozisis is doing to fix that with his Aligner Intensive Fellowship program
- Impact of communication on a local level to differentiate the specialist from the general dentist in orthodontic treatment
- Changing the narrative on offering limited treatment to patients by discussing and educating patients and offering all the options
- Orthodontists have to address consumers’ desire for convenience is driving them to direct-to-consumer alternatives
- We play Monday Morning Quarterback and ask Dr. Nicozisis what he would do differently in hindsight as a young orthodontists just out of school
Following dental school at the University of Pennsylvania and Temple University Department of Orthodontics, Dr. Jonathan Nicozisis has been in private practice in Princeton, NJ since the fall of 1999. Aside from helping raise $23 million in venture capital funding for a medical start up to continue his Master’s thesis research that went all the way to human clinical trials overseen by the FDA, developing, patenting, and selling auxiliaries, and being on the Scientific Advisory Board of Propel Orthodontics and Master Faculty member of Align Technology, Jonathan considers his greatest career accomplishment helping his orthodontic colleagues become proficient in doing orthodontics with aligners. With publications in refereed journals, trade publications, co-authoring a text-book chapter, countless hours of live lecturing, and a contribution in Seminars in Orthodontics, Dr. Nicozisis has collected his experiences and knowledge along with his partner Dr. Maz Moshiri’s, leading to the culmination that is The Aligner Intensive Fellowship – the world’s most comprehensive course on aligner orthodontics!